Monday, April 13, 2009

Property of HGTV: If Kilowatts Were Raindrops

My 2nd installment on www.hgtv.com/changetheworld



My challenge to my family this last month: Lower the electric bill. This was actually more of a task than I had bargained for as our electric company raised its rates in the middle of our challenge.

Here’s how the conversation went at the dinner table last month…

“Okay, I have our first “Green Challenge” for my blog.”
“What blog?” says my daughter.
“You know, the blog I told you I was writing for HGTV’s Change the World?”
“I don’t remember you telling us about a blog” says my son.
“It was just last night.”

…silence… then not silence….

“What am I hearing in the other room?” I asked.
My son “The TV”.
“Let’s start there shall we?” (My family is not short on irony)

“Anyway… we’re going to be better about turning off lights, not leaving the curling iron plugged in, not leaving the tv on and see if we can lower the electric bill.”

After a few eye rolls I had what I thought was the team spirit. My husband’s task was to change out the old money-sucking lightbulbs to CFL’s, the squiggly-more-expensive-but-less-in-the-long-run-bulbs.

That weekend, the bulbs were replaced. And I began a campaign of interrogation just this side of the Spanish Inquisition. When someone entered the room, I would ask. “Where were you? Did you turn the lights off? Did you make sure the fridge was closed? Is that a radio I hear? Did you shut down the computer?”

Soon my test subjects became conditioned to my badgering and I was only able to eke out half of a question before their response.

“Did you turn off…”
“Yessss” (more eye rolling)

Then it was “Did you t-…”

And soon “Di-…”

And then just a raised eyebrow would do the trick. By George, I think they’ve got it! I had them trained! I was General Patton in front of the American Flag and these were my frightened soldiers heading for the front lines to do battle with the electric bill. Did we win, you ask?

We saved 38 dollars!! God Bless America!

Last night after opening the mail, I gloriously carried the electric bill into the living room for all to celebrate. This was a moment to cherish until my husband asked “Did you leave the light on in the kitchen?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.